Memorandum of Agreement Between Reynolds School District and Reynolds Education Association on Comprehensive Distance Learning
The Reynolds School District (RSD) and the Reynolds Education Association (REA) hereby agree to the following Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the purpose of setting forth the terms and conditions regarding the delivery of Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL). In accordance with Governor Kate Brown’s emergency orders and ODE guidance under Ready Schools Safe Learners for alternative methods of delivery of instruction, the District and Association, in order to assure the safety and well-being of all students and staff, hereby agree to the following:
1. RSD and REA agree to starting the 2020/2021 school year under a CDL model of instruction.
2. RSD will provide professional development (PD), training and planning time to all REA members in preparation for CDL. Previously planned PD will be cancelled or postponed. All PD will abide by CBA Article #10, Professional Development Committee.
3. The District and the Association acknowledge that quality CDL should be a collaborative effort in order to provide a breadth and depth of services to our students. The start date for the initial student contact days will be delayed to mid-September 2020. RSD and REA will collaborate on a newly confirmed calendar as per CBA language Article #7: “The calendar committee, including at least three members appointed by the Association, shall establish the employee work year calendars…. The proposed calendars will be given to the association each year for identifying negotiated days and receive Association recommendations regarding non-negotiated days…. Calendars for any alternative programs and calendars that operate beyond the regular school year shall be developed with staff involvement and be reviewed by the Association.”
4. Each building will develop its own schedule aligned with the District schedule framework and in accordance with Article #9, Teaching Hours, Paragraph A: “Article 9, Teaching Hours Length of Workday: The workday for full-time unit members shall be eight (8) hours Monday through Thursday and seven and one-half (7½) hours Friday. 1. Individual school hours for unit members may be adjusted to accommodate needs, including required instructional hours, as determined by the building administrator with input from the unit members in that building. 2. Specialists’ hours may be adjusted to accommodate needs, including required instructional hours, as determined by the building administrator with input from the department supervisor and the specialist. 3. Individual unit members may establish flexible work schedules by meeting with the building administrator. 4. Individual school hours may be adjusted to accommodate schedule changes (e.g. early release/late start) provided such adjustments are consistent with the contract and approved by the District and the Association.”
Revised August 13, 2020
5. Enough preparation time will be allotted to REA members at each level and building to prepare, deliver, and assess online lessons. The 8-hour workday on Mondays will be divided as follows: • Up to 1-hour student contact time • 2-hours principal directed professional development time • 1-hour and 20 minutes of building directed member collaboration/PLC time • 1-hour of professional responsibilities time related to serving students CDL • 40 minutes duty free lunch and passing time • 2-hours member directed preparation time • In addition, on Tuesdays through Fridays, each member will be allotted prep time daily as outlined in the CBA in Article #9, Teaching Hours. If a workweek does not include a Monday, the Tuesday through Friday schedule will remain the same. Student instruction shall be delivered as outlined in the most up-to-date Oregon Department of Education (ODE) guidance. This may include student access to teacher’s office hours.
6. REA members may choose to deliver CDL from their classrooms or from their homes. REA members may come and go from their buildings and classrooms if they follow the entry and exit protocols and applicable sanitization protocols, face mask requirements, social distancing guidance, and emerging building or district guidance aligned with health and safety protocols.
7. New protocols for the evaluation process for instructors delivering CDL will need to be agreed to through the work of the CBA Article #5, Evaluation Committee. This work should be completed prior to October 1st, 2020.
8. Additional necessary MOU’s may be negotiated. This Memorandum shall not modify any other terms and conditions of the parties’ CBA not specifically addressed herein. 9. This Memorandum shall expire on June 30, 2021, or upon a change of instructional model.
Visit here for the latest bargaining updates from your union.